- China has opened its local (A-shares) stock market to foreign investors. Given the size of China’s market and economy, this is a significant issue for institutional investors. Investors will get increased exposure to China over the coming years as indices and investment managers increase their exposure to Chinese A-share equities.
- The case for investing in a China A-shares specialist manager can be made on three levels — gaining full universe exposure, risk/return impact, and the potential to add value through stock selection. Within these categories, we find stock selection benefits most persuasive.
- Investors with a healthy risk appetite and a long-term investment horizon should consider a stand alone allocation to China A-shares. We suggest that an active approach via carefully selected specialist managers is best able to plug the gap left by indices and some global and emerging markets equity managers.
- For many institutional investors, a separate allocation to a China A-shares equity fund may not make sense from a governance and risk perspective if their overall equity allocation is small or reducing. They should, however, at least understand how their portfolio will gain exposure to A-shares through their existing managers.
- Aon’s manager research team, working with colleagues in Shanghai, have been researching China A-share managers and other Chinese equity strategies for over eight years. We have identified a select group of specialist managers that have A-share expertise and are open to investment now.
- China may not be the most obvious of investments now given USChina trade wars and various other macroeconomic and market risks. However, we think that this is a reasonable time to buy into China’s transformation agenda. Investing in China requires a long-term view.
- This note offers a strategic perspective and, although the Coronavirus is causing short-term disruption, we do not expect the outbreak will detract from China’s longer-term investment rationale.
Download the whitepaper above to learn more.
Aon plc (NYSE:AON) is a leading global professional services firm providing a broad range of risk, retirement and health solutions. Our 50,000 colleagues in 120 countries empower results for clients by using proprietary data and analytics to deliver insights that reduce volatility and improve performance. For further information on our capabilities and to learn how we empower results for clients, please visit http://aon.mediaroom.com.
© Aon plc 2020. All rights reserved.
This document and any enclosures or attachments are prepared on the understanding that it is solely for the benefit of the addressee(s). Unless we provide express prior written consent, no part of this document should be reproduced, distributed or communicated to anyone else and, in providing this document, we do not accept or assume any responsibility for any other purpose or to anyone other than the addressee(s) of this document.
Notwithstanding the level of skill and care used in conducting due diligence into any organisation that is the subject of a rating in this document, it is not always possible to detect the negligence, fraud, or other misconduct of the organisation being assessed or any weaknesses in that organisation’s systems and controls or operations.
This document and any due diligence conducted is based upon information available to us at the date of this document and takes no account of subsequent developments. In preparing this document we may have relied upon data supplied to us by third parties (including those that are the subject of due diligence) and therefore no warranty or guarantee of accuracy or completeness is provided. We cannot be held accountable for any error, omission or misrepresentation of any data provided to us by third parties (including those that are the subject of due diligence). This document is not intended by us to form a basis of any decision by any third party to do or omit to do anything.
Any opinions or assumptions in this document have been derived by us through a blend of economic theory, historical analysis and/or other sources. Any opinion or assumption may contain elements of subjective judgement and are not intended to imply, nor should be interpreted as conveying, any form of guarantee or assurance by us of any future performance. Views are derived from our research process and it should be noted in particular that we can not research legal, regulatory, administrative or accounting procedures and accordingly make no warranty and accept no responsibility for consequences arising from relying on this document in this regard.
Calculations may be derived from our proprietary models in use at that time. Models may be based
on historical analysis of data and other methodologies and we may have incorporated their subjective judgement to complement such data as is available. It should be noted that models may change over time and they should not be relied upon to capture future uncertainty or events.
Aon Hewitt Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered in England & Wales. Registered No: 4396810.
The Aon Centre
The Leadenhall Building
122 Leadenhall Street
London EC3V 4AN